The Eagle Stone stands in a fenced enclave in a field at the eastern end of Strathpeffer. It is sometimes referred to as the Eaglestone, and the Gaelic name is Clach an Tiompain, which is usually translated as "Sounding Stone".
The Eagle Stone is signposted for pedestrians from the centre of Strathpeffer, a matter of a few hundred yards up the hill from the site of the stone. The indicated route seems intended to keep pedestrians away from the narrow pavement beside the main road towards Dingwall: but if you are careful, the simplest route is to follow the road downhill to the edge of Strathpeffer where, a short distance beyond the entrance to the Old Station on the opposite side, a signposted track leads up besides a hedge.
A second, sometimes slightly muddy track then continues between fences beside a field to the stone itself. The stone stands on a small rocky mound, sometimes identified as a tumulus, and a nearby information panel tells you more about what you are looking at.
The stone stands some 2ft8ins high by 2ft wide by 10 inches thick. The Eagle Stone is what is known as a "Class I" Pictish symbol stone, meaning that the carvings were applied to a natural unshaped stone, and are typically pre-Christian in subject matter. This probably means that the Eagle Stone is a relatively early Pictish symbol stone, dating back perhaps as far as the 400s or 500s.
Two symbols have been carved on the smooth south east face of the stone. The upper symbol is a horseshoe carrying various decorations in the form of discs and arcs. Some interpret the upper shape as an arch or a rainbow rather than a horseshoe, but without being able to discuss this with the man who carved it 1,500 or more years ago, it seems unlikely we will ever know for certain. The lower symbol, and the one that has given the stone its English name, is an Eagle, shown with its wings folded and with detailed feathers, talons and beak. At some time after the carving was done, the upper right corner of the stone was damaged, leaving an obvious break which cuts into the top of the horseshoe on that side.
The stone is believed locally to have been moved to its current site from an original location in an old churchyard at Fodderty, further down the valley, in order to mark the graves of Munros killed during a victory by the clan over the MacDonalds in 1411.
The Brahan Seer, Scotland's answer to Nostradamus, is said to have predicted that should the Eagle Stone fall three times then ships would anchor on the spot. The story continues that the stone has fallen twice since being placed here. As it is located very close to the 50 metre contour, a third fall could be very bad news for Dingwall, down the glen and on the coast. The Brahan Seer died, according to one version of the story, in about 1675, and supporters believe that some of his prophesies have come true, including the Highland Clearances and the Caledonian Canal. That is perhaps why the Eagle Stone is now discreetly cemented in position.
Visitor InformationView Location on Map
Grid Ref: NH 485 585