Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Motorhome Hire. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are of the Skye Bridge, as seen from Am Ploc, a viewpoint above Kyle of Lochalsh; and Lagavulin Distillery, one of the three distilleries that can be found on the south coast of the Isle of Islay.
Clickable Map of Scotland
Brechin Cathedral stands on ground that rises above the north bank of Skinner's Burn, a tributary of the River South Esk, in the heart of the extremely attractive town of Brechin in Angus. The usual approach is by walking down the gentle hill of Church Lane from Church Street. As you reach the foot of the lane the north side of the cathedral opens up in front of you. The origins of Brechin Cathedral are thought to date back to the arrival of St Dubhoc or Duthoc in around 600AD. ( More ...)
On This Day
24 April 1558: Fifteen year old Mary Queen of Scots marries fourteen year old Francoise, Dauphin of France in Paris. The wedding is accompanied by an agreement that will unify the crowns of Scotland and France if there are children of the marriage, and hand over the crown of Scotland to France if there are not.
24 April 1633: A royal warrant is issued to Sir John Hepburn to raised a body of men in Scotland for service in France. This regiment becomes known as the Royal Scots.
Eyes Turned Skywards by Ken Lussey (30 April 2018).
Wing Commander Robert Sutherland has left his days as a pre-war detective far behind him. Or so he thinks. On 25 August 1942 the Duke of Kent, brother
of King George VI, is killed in northern Scotland in an unexplained air crash; a second crash soon after suggests a shared, possibly sinister, cause.
Bob Sutherland is tasked with visiting the aircraft's base in Oban and the first crash site in Caithness to gather clues as to who might have had reason
to sabotage one, or both, of the aircraft.
Read our full review.
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two large holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- For Scottish trust deed information visit Scotlands Trust Deed and find out if you qualify for help.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Search over 100 self catering holiday parks, barn conversions & lodges in Scotland on holidayparkhol.co.uk
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- Visit Absolute Escapes for tailor-made travel planning and independent walking holidays in Scotland.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- Choose from a huge range of Sykes Scottish Cottages.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- If you want to travel to Scotland, a European Health Insurance Card is the first step.