Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Business Services. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are a view west along beautiful Loch Voil in Balquhidder Glen; and of Abbotsford, the magnificent home near Melrose in the Scottish Borders of literary superstar Sir Walter Scott.
Clickable Map of Scotland
Measuring some three miles from north to south and a mile and a half from east to west, Fair Isle is Scotland's most remote inhabited island. It lies some 25 miles south-west of Mainland Shetland and some 30 miles north-east of the nearest of the Orkney Islands. Fair Isle's population today stands at about 70, having slowly increased from a low point of about 50 in the 1950s, when evacuation of the remaining population seemed a very real possibility. ( More ...)
On This Day
4 July 1796: Robert Burns takes up residence at the Brow Inn to seek a cure for what we now know was rhumatic fever. The "cure" comprises drinking the waters of the Brow Well and bathing in the Solway Firth.
4 July 1799: The death of Sir John Anstruther, 2nd Baronet, a Scottish politician and industrialist who served as Member of Parliament for Anstruther Burghs on three occasions and is remembered for his harbour improvements at Pittenweem and the development of coal mining and salt extraction at St Monans.
4 July 1901: The death of Peter Guthrie Tait, a mathematical physicist best known for his joint-authorship of a textbook which defined the science of physics.
The Stockholm Run by Ken Lussey (26 May 2022).
A fast-paced thriller set largely in Edinburgh and Stockholm during World War Two. It's March 1943. The death of an intruder in a
hidden bunker leads to a much larger secret buried beneath Edinburgh Castle. As the mystery unravels, Bob Sutherland and Monique Dubois
are sent to Stockholm, a city supposedly at peace in a world at war, to take delivery of a message of critical national importance. Or is
it a trap? Can their relationship survive what they uncover? Will they live long enough for that to matter?
Read our full review.
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- Sykes Holiday Cottages, providing a great choice of self-catering accommodation throughout Scotland.
- Welcome to Fort William: A place to relax and to play. Plan your visit at fortwilliam.co.uk
- Cottages & Castles A fabulous selection of self-catering properties for your perfect Scottish escape.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- Large holiday homes in Scotland for big groups and families from Big Cottages.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- Arachnid Press Independent Scottish Publisher. Our latest release is the WW2 thriller The Stockholm Run.
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Luxury self drive guided Land Rover adventures with Celtic Routes on great routes with stunning hotels.
- Cottage Gems A fabulous collection of luxury, stylish and 5 star holiday properties in the UK and Ireland.
- First Mortgage Scotland's leading mortgage advisors, providing fee-free and impartial mortgage advice.
- Search over 60,000 Last Minute Cottages in Scotland with great last-minute deals.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk