Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Domestic and Household Services. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are a view over the Sound of Barra of Eriskay and Fuday from the north end of the island of Barra; and Preston Mill, one of the oldest meal mills in Scotland with its machinery still in working order.
Clickable Map of Scotland
Securely located on Castle Island in Loch Leven, Lochleven Castle had an important role to play in Scotland's history for over three hundred years. Yet it is best remembered as Mary Queen of Scots' prison from June 1567 to May 1568, and the place where she was forced to abdicate in favour of her infant son James VI on 24 July 1567. Today's visitor approaches Lochleven Castle in the same way as the many Scottish Monarchs who visited: by boat. ( More ...)
On This Day
24 January 1446: The "Battle of Arbroath" takes place over who will succeed to the post of "Bailie of the Regality" at Arbroath Abbey. As many as 600 people are said to have been killed.
24 January 1502: A "Treaty of Perpetual Peace" is agreed between King James IV of Scotland and King Henry VII of England. The peace turns out to be considerably shorter than "perpetual".
25 January 1759: The birth of Robert Burns.
Wild Light: Scotland's Mountain Landscape by Craig Aitchison (4 October 2018).
Wild Light is a stunning panoramic exploration of the Scottish landscape by photographer Craig Aitchison, winner of the
inaugural Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year competition. Produced over seven years and shot entirely using a
traditional Hasselblad film camera, this remarkable body of work captures the essence of the Scottish wilderness through
the seasons and portrays the Highlands and Islands at their most beautiful.
Read our full review.
- For Scottish trust deed information visit Scotlands Trust Deed and find out if you qualify for help.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- Hop and Thistle Tours provide all-inclusive luxury walking holidays along the South Loch Ness Trail.
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Silverglades Holiday Homes Year round self catering accommodation in the Cairngorms National Park.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- Take a look at our suggestions for the top four driving roads in Scotland including Applecross.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- Visit Absolute Escapes for tailor-made travel planning and independent walking holidays in Scotland.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- A fantastic selection of hand-picked cottages in Scotland by Sykes Scottish Cottages.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk
- If you want to travel to Scotland, a European Health Insurance Card is the first step.
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two large holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- If you’re looking for a cheap parcel courier, this service is the one for you.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.