Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Activities and Special Interests. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are of Skara Brae in Orkney, a window into the lives of the people who lived here 5,000 years ago; and a tomb carving of figures and a ship in St Clement's Church on Harris in the Western Isles.
Clickable Map of Scotland
Ardaneaskan, south of Lochcarron, is a nice little place in its own right, but a real bonus for visitors is to discover (as we did from a small roadside sign) that there is a croft museum here. To reach it you follow a track downhill towards the shore for fifty yards or so, into a group of cottages and outbuildings. The museum is housed in what looks to be an old barn. Some of the exhibits are gathered around the building, while the rest are inside. ( More ...)
On This Day
7 August 1894: The first train arrives in Fort William on the newly opened West Highland Line.
7 August 1936: Air services begin from Barra Airport, the only beach airport anywhere in the world to be used for scheduled airline services.
A Taste of the Highlands by Ghillie Basan (7 October 2021).
On this culinary journey through the Highlands of Scotland, award-winning food writer Ghillie Basan meets a host of artisan food producers, farmers,
crofters, fishermen and distillers. From the Cairngorms, the Moray Firth and the Black Isle to Sutherland and Argyll, she discovers a huge variety of
local produce. Featuring a hundred recipes, ranging from the traditional to the contemporary, as well as the stories of the people she meets, this is
a celebration of life and food in one of the world’s most beautiful places.
Read our full review.
- Sykes Holiday Cottages, providing a great choice of self-catering accommodation throughout Scotland.
- Welcome to Fort William: A place to relax and to play. Plan your visit at fortwilliam.co.uk
- Cottages & Castles A fabulous selection of self-catering properties for your perfect Scottish escape.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- Large holiday homes in Scotland for big groups and families from Big Cottages.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- Arachnid Press Independent Scottish Publisher. Our latest release is the WW2 thriller The Stockholm Run.
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Luxury self drive guided Land Rover adventures with Celtic Routes on great routes with stunning hotels.
- Cottage Gems A fabulous collection of luxury, stylish and 5 star holiday properties in the UK and Ireland.
- First Mortgage Scotland's leading mortgage advisors, providing fee-free and impartial mortgage advice.
- Search over 60,000 Last Minute Cottages in Scotland with great last-minute deals.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.