Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Walking and Climbing. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are of Corgarff Castle, standing in a wild and lonely spot at the head of Strathdon in Aberdeenshire; and the view east over Lyness on Hoy in Orkney to Scapa Flow and the islands of Fara and Flotta.
Clickable Map of Scotland
Ardaneaskan, south of Lochcarron, is a nice little place in its own right, but a real bonus for visitors is to discover (as we did from a small roadside sign) that there is a croft museum here. To reach it you follow a track downhill towards the shore for fifty yards or so, into a group of cottages and outbuildings. The museum is housed in what looks to be an old barn. Some of the exhibits are gathered around the building, while the rest are inside. ( More ...)
On This Day
23 May 1701: Captain William Kidd is hung at Wapping for murder and piracy.
23 May 1846: The death in Manchester of Ensign Charles Ewart, remembered for capturing the regimental eagle of the French 45th Regiment of the Line at the Battle of Waterloo.
See You on the Hill by Ralph Storer (7 December 2018).
Following on from The Joy of Hillwalking and 50 Shades of Hillwalking, acclaimed outdoors writer Ralph Storer
returns with another eclectic selection of tales culled from a not-yet-lifetime of adventure and misadventure on
hills and mountains. Written with Ralph's trademark wit, his entertaining escapades will amuse, thrill, inspire
and give pause for contemplation. Join Ralph as he gets snowbound in the Cairngorms; gets lost on Sardinia; falls
off a mountain in the Sierra Nevada... and much more.
Read our full review.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- Visit Absolute Escapes for tailor-made travel planning and independent walking holidays in Scotland.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- A great range of self catering castles and large holiday homes in Scotland with Scotts Castle Holidays.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- A fantastic selection of hand-picked cottages in Scotland by Sykes Scottish Cottages.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk
- If you want to travel to Scotland, a European Health Insurance Card is the first step.
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two large holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- Small group and private tours of Scotland in comfort and luxury with Your Scotland Tour.
- If you’re looking for a cheap parcel courier, this service is the one for you.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For Scottish trust deed information visit Scotlands Trust Deed and find out if you qualify for help.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- Hop and Thistle Tours provide all-inclusive luxury walking holidays along the South Loch Ness Trail.
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Silverglades Holiday Homes Year round self catering accommodation in the Cairngorms National Park.
- Take a look at our suggestions for the top four driving roads in Scotland including Applecross.