Logo: small map of Scotland
Link to Area Info Page containing local information and links, contacts & tourist advice
Link to location map: launches popup window








InformationVisitor Information:
Grid Ref: NO 162 388
The Meikleour Beech Hedge from the North in July 2008
The Meikleour Beech Hedge from the North in July 2008

Towering over the A93 main road four miles south of Blairgowrie and ten miles north of Perth is what has, since 1966, been officially recognised as the tallest and longest hedge on Earth.

Another 2008 View from the North
Another 2008 View from the North
Hedge from the North in May 2013
Hedge from the North in May 2013
The Hedge in September 2000
The Hedge in September 2000
The Southern End and Layby, 2008
The Southern End and Layby, 2008

The Meikleour Beech Hedge is 580 yards (or 530m) long and ranges in height from 120ft (36m) at its northern end to 80ft (24m) at its southern end. The average height is over 100ft (30m). The hedge is made of Beech, (Fagus sylvatica) and is cut and measured by the Meikleour Trust, a process that takes four men six weeks using a hydraulic lift and hand-held cutting equipment.

The photo below left, taken in 2000, seems to show the hedge not long after it had been cut. We've seen it said that the hedge is cut every ten years, but photographs taken in May 2013 show it in a fairly bushy state, clearly well over ten years after we first photographed it in September 2000. Presumably a trim is once more in the offing...

View from the South, July 2008
View from the South, July 2008
Southern End of the Hedge in May 2013
Southern End of the Hedge in May 2013
The Hedge in Winter, March 2010
The Hedge in Winter, March 2010

The photos at the foot of this page and below right show the very different appearance the hedge takes on in winter, when the leaves turn brown. Because, presumably, if its height and its exposure to wind, the hedge retains its leaves less well than domestic sized beech hedges, giving a very transparent appearance until the new growth begins in the Spring.

The story of the hedge is closely associated with the story of Meikleour House, which lies half a mile to the west and whose eastern boundary it defines. The house was built by Robert Murray Nairne and his wife Jean Mercer of Meikleour, heiress of the estates of Aldie and Meikleour, who had married in 1720. The house itself was remodelled into the form of a French château in 1870, but by then its most outstanding feature was already well established.

The Meikleour Hedge was planted by Robert and Jean in the autumn of 1745. However, as Jacobites sympathisers, they would never see it grow to maturity. By the time the hedge was planted, Bonnie Prince Charlie had been on Scottish soil for over a month. The 1745 Jacobite uprising came to a decisive end at the Battle of Culloden on 16 April 1746. Amongst the Jacobites killed in at Culloden was Robert Murray Nairne, and following the battle Jean Mercer left Meikleour to seek refuge and anonymity in Edinburgh.

Visitors to the hedge should not overlook the very pretty village of Meikleour, half a mile to the north west and reached along a minor road that leaves the A93 at the northern end of the hedge.

The Hedge from the South During Winter, March 2010
The Hedge from the South During Winter, March 2010
Top of Page Top of Page