Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Business Services. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are of the view east towards Glen Shiel from the Bealach Ratagain, the high point on the road to Glenelg; and the gateway to Highland Park Distillery on the southern edge of Kirkwall in Orkney.
Clickable Map of Scotland
St Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland (and of Russia and Romania) and his feast day is celebrated on 30 November. This is also Scotland's national day, though debate continues in Scotland about whether St Andrew's Day should be a public holiday: currently it isn't. The legend is that in 347, St Andrew's relics were brought by St Rule by sea from Patras in Greece to the settlement now known as St Andrews in Fife, though it is more likely they arrived four centuries later. ( More ...)
On This Day
30 November 1872: The world's first football international is held between Scotland and England, ending in a goalless draw.
30 November 1923: The death of John Maclean, the revolutionary socialist politician who played an important part in the Red Clydeside movement.
The House With 46 Chimneys by Ken Lussey (10 November 2020).
Life changes dramatically for Kaleb, Jude and Sequoia when they move to live with their aunt in a rural corner
of central Scotland. It’s the beginning of April 2020, the early days of the coronavirus lockdown.
Three local children they meet – in a socially distanced way – draw them into a two-century old family
mystery involving the haunting of the nearby ruins of Dunmore Park. Do they try to right a wrong that was
done in 1828, a wrong that has had consequences ever since? Or is doing so simply too dangerous?
Read our full review.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- Cottages & Castles A fabulous selection of self-catering properties for your perfect Scottish escape.
- Small group and private tours of Scotland in comfort and luxury with Your Scotland Tour.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- Arachnid Press Independent Scottish Publisher. Our latest release is The House With 46 Chimneys.
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Silverglades Holiday Homes Year round self catering accommodation in the Cairngorms National Park.
- Cottage Gems A fabulous collection of luxury, stylish and 5 star holiday properties in the UK and Ireland.
- Visit Absolute Escapes for tailor-made travel planning and independent walking holidays in Scotland.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- A great range of self catering castles and large holiday homes in Scotland with Scotts Castle Holidays.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- A fantastic selection of hand-picked cottages in Scotland by Sykes Holiday Cottages.