Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
Please note: The whole of mainland Scotland
and some islands are subject to the Scottish government's temporary lockdown measures, which came into effect on 5 January 2021.
More information is available on the Scottish government website:
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Watersports. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are a view west along beautiful Loch Voil in Balquhidder Glen; and of Abbotsford, the magnificent home near Melrose in the Scottish Borders of literary superstar Sir Walter Scott.
Clickable Map of Scotland
Broughton House stands on the north west side of Kirkcudbright's attractive High Street not far from the town's harbour and Maclellan's Castle. The house and its extensive garden are cared for by the National Trust for Scotland and the house is of particular interest because it was purchased by the noted artist E A Hornel in 1901 and served as his home, studio, gallery and library until his death in 1933 and many of his works are on view in the house. ( More ...)
On This Day
26 February 1935: Radar pioneer Robert Watson-Watt successfully demonstrates the detection of radio signals being reflected off a circling RAF bomber in what became known as the Daventry Experiment.
26 February 1950: The death of Sir Harry Lauder, one of Scotland's greatest singers and entertainers.
26 February 1955: The death of Agnes Mackenzie, CBE, the eminent historian and author.
27 February 1545: The Battle of Ancrum Moor is fought north west of Jedburgh between English and Scottish forces as part of the War of the Rough Wooing. The result is a decisive victory for the Scottish.
The House With 46 Chimneys by Ken Lussey (10 November 2020).
Life changes dramatically for Kaleb, Jude and Sequoia when they move to live with their aunt in a rural corner
of central Scotland. It’s the beginning of April 2020, the early days of the coronavirus lockdown.
Three local children they meet – in a socially distanced way – draw them into a two-century old family
mystery involving the haunting of the nearby ruins of Dunmore Park. Do they try to right a wrong that was
done in 1828, a wrong that has had consequences ever since? Or is doing so simply too dangerous?
Read our full review.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- Arachnid Press Independent Scottish Publisher. Our latest release is The House With 46 Chimneys.
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Silverglades Holiday Homes Year round self catering accommodation in the Cairngorms National Park.
- Cottage Gems A fabulous collection of luxury, stylish and 5 star holiday properties in the UK and Ireland.
- Visit Absolute Escapes for tailor-made travel planning and independent walking holidays in Scotland.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- A great range of self catering castles and large holiday homes in Scotland with Scotts Castle Holidays.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- Welcome to Fort William: A place to relax and to play. Plan your visit at fortwilliam.co.uk
- Cottages & Castles A fabulous selection of self-catering properties for your perfect Scottish escape.
- Small group and private tours of Scotland in comfort and luxury with Your Scotland Tour.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.