Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Limousine and Taxi Hire. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are of the the lovely village of Pennan, made famous by the film "Local Hero", on the north Aberdeenshire coast; and a view south along the island of Raasay, with Skye in the distance.
Clickable Map of Scotland
In the early afternoon of Monday 19 August 1745 Prince Charles Edward Stuart stepped out of a small rowing boat at the north end of Loch Shiel, at a place now marked by the Glenfinnan Monument. It was the start of the '45 uprising, which would end in bloody failure at Culloden less than eight months later. In its aftermath the Highland way of life that had existed for hundreds of years was swept away by brutality, suppression and self interest. ( More ...)
On This Day
19 August 1561: Mary Queen of Scots, aged eighteen and now a widow, is increasingly isolated in France, and has little choice but to accept an invitation to return to a now Protestant Scotland as Queen.
The Corncrake: An Ecology of an Enigma by Frank Rennie (29 April 2022).
Until now there has been no full-length book that attempts to capture all the aspects of the Corncrake's ecology, and to present this
information to non-specialists. As a result many important facts about its lifestyle and behaviour have not been widely known. Although
rarely seen, the Corncrake is well-known due to its characteristic night-time calling, but new discoveries may offer new ways of protecting
and enabling the population of this iconic species to recover, even to thrive in our countryside.
Read our full review.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- Arachnid Press Independent Scottish Publisher. Our latest release is the WW2 thriller The Stockholm Run.
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Luxury self drive guided Land Rover adventures with Celtic Routes on great routes with stunning hotels.
- Cottage Gems A fabulous collection of luxury, stylish and 5 star holiday properties in the UK and Ireland.
- First Mortgage Scotland's leading mortgage advisors, providing fee-free and impartial mortgage advice.
- Search over 60,000 Last Minute Cottages in Scotland with great last-minute deals.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- Book covers? Photography? eBooks? Typesetting? Proofreading? A full range of services at AuthorServices.scot
- Sykes Holiday Cottages, providing a great choice of self-catering accommodation throughout Scotland.
- Cottages & Castles A fabulous selection of self-catering properties for your perfect Scottish escape.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- Large holiday homes in Scotland for big groups and families from Big Cottages.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.