Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Watersports. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are a view of the busy harbour at Burghead in Moray; and the magnificent blind arches on the exterior of the chancel and apse of Leuchars Parish Church in the village of Leuchars in Fife.
Clickable Map of Scotland
Lochboisdale is built on a headland projecting into the well sheltered Loch Baghasdail. It is best known as the ferry port for Castlebay on Barra and for Oban; and as a result is the main gateway to South Uist. Little seems to have happened here until the herring boom in the latter half of the 1800s, when it developed as an important fishing station. Perhaps the most significant development was the building of a steamer pier in 1880. ( More ...)
On This Day
20 January 1936: King George V dies. He is succeeded by King Edward VIII, who abdicates 325 days later in order to marry Mrs Simpson.
20 January 1994: The death of Sir Matt Busby, the football player and manager best remembered for his management of Manchester United.
21 January 1840: The birth of the pioneering woman doctor and champion of medical education for women, Sophia Jex-Blake.
Down to the Sea by Sue Lawrence (21 February 2019).
When Rona and Craig buy a large Victorian house up from Edinburgh's Newhaven district once teeming with fishing boats they plan to
renovate and set it up as a luxury care home. But something is not quite right: disturbing sounds can be heard when the sea
mists swirl; their unpredictable neighbour makes it clear that the house was not always a happy family home.
And their characterful' historic pile has a gloomy cellar harbouring relics from days gone by. Meanwhile, back in the 1890s...
Read our full review.
- Hop and Thistle Tours provide all-inclusive luxury walking holidays along the South Loch Ness Trail.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- Take a look at our suggestions for the top four driving roads in Scotland including Applecross.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- Visit Absolute Escapes for tailor-made travel planning and independent walking holidays in Scotland.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- A fantastic selection of hand-picked cottages in Scotland by Sykes Scottish Cottages.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk
- If you want to travel to Scotland, a European Health Insurance Card is the first step.
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two large holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- If you’re looking for a cheap parcel courier, this service is the one for you.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- For Scottish trust deed information visit Scotlands Trust Deed and find out if you qualify for help.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Silverglades Holiday Homes Year round self catering accommodation in the Cairngorms National Park.