Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
The Scottish government's timetable for easing coronavirus restrictions can be seen here.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Watersports. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are of the superb collection of carved stones in Kilmory Knap Chapel in Argyll; and a view of the Kylesku Bridge in north west Sutherland, surely one of the most beautiful bridges anywhere.
Clickable Map of Scotland
Calton Hill rises beyond the east end of Princes Street and carries a rather eccentric collection of buildings and monuments. Its principal attraction is the superb panoramic view, taking in pretty much the whole of Edinburgh. Robert Louis Stevenson said that Calton Hill was the best viewpoint in the city as from it you could see both Edinburgh Castle and Arthur's Seat, something you couldn't from either of them. We tend to agree with him. ( More ...)
On This Day
19 April 1567: James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell, although already married, proposes marriage to Mary Queen of Scots with the support of many influential nobles across Scotland. Mary turns him down.
19 April 1824: The death in Greece of the leading poet of the Romantic movement and Greek liberation fighter George Byron, 6th Baron Byron.
A Friendship in Letters: Robert Louis Stevenson & J.M. Barrie by Michael Shaw (13 November 2020).
Though they never met, Robert Louis Stevenson and J. M. Barrie developed a warm friendship, revealed in these amusing and gossipy
letters, with vivid commentary on each other's literary work. Until recently, Barrie's side of the correspondence was presumed
lost by his biographers. This epistolary volume reunites Barrie's letters with Stevenson's and contextualises them through an
engaging introduction and a series of appendices, including a delightful short story by Barrie.
Read our full review.
- Cottage Gems A fabulous collection of luxury, stylish and 5 star holiday properties in the UK and Ireland.
- Visit Absolute Escapes for tailor-made travel planning and independent walking holidays in Scotland.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- A great range of self catering castles and large holiday homes in Scotland with Scotts Castle Holidays.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- Search over 60,000 Last Minute Cottages in Scotland with great last-minute deals.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- Welcome to Fort William: A place to relax and to play. Plan your visit at fortwilliam.co.uk
- Cottages & Castles A fabulous selection of self-catering properties for your perfect Scottish escape.
- Small group and private tours of Scotland in comfort and luxury with Your Scotland Tour.
- Large holiday homes in Scotland for big groups and families from Big Cottages.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- Arachnid Press Independent Scottish Publisher. Our latest release is The House With 46 Chimneys.
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Silverglades Holiday Homes Year round self catering accommodation in the Cairngorms National Park.