Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Vehicle Hire. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are of the unusually complete Aikey Brae Stone Circle on Parkhouse Hill in Aberdeenshire; and a view of the three ferries that connect Kirkwall in Orkney to many of the the northern islands.
Clickable Map of Scotland
Three miles south of Crieff the dead straight A822 makes a sharp zig-zag through a village built mostly from a reddish stone. Welcome to Muthill, pronounced "Mew-thil". The village was founded by Culdee monks who had established a community here in the 1100s. The oldest building in Muthill, by far, is the tower of the Old Church. This probably dates back to the 1170 and would originally have been a free standing tower designed for protection. ( More ...)
On This Day
23 September 1779: The Battle of Flamborough Head takes place off Yorkshire between ships of the American Continental Navy commanded by John Paul Jones and Royal Navy ships protecting a merchant convoy.
The Romans in Scotland and The Battle of Mons Graupius by Simon Forder (15 August 2019).
In AD 77, Roman forces under Agricola marched into the northern reaches of Britain to pacify the Caledonians. For seven years, the
Romans battled across what is now Scotland. In AD 83, they fought the final battle at Mons Graupius where 10,000 Caledonians were
slaughtered with only 360 Roman dead. How much of this is true? Author Simon Forder considers contemporary sources and triangulates
these with the very latest archaeological finds to suggest a new narrative, including a new location for the battle itself.
Read our full review.
- If you want to travel to Scotland, a European Health Insurance Card is the first step.
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two large holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- Applying for an ESTA visa waiver online could not be any easier.
- Small group and private tours of Scotland in comfort and luxury with Your Scotland Tour.
- Card EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) provides health cover in the UK, Europe and Switzerland.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- Hop and Thistle Tours provide all-inclusive luxury walking holidays along the South Loch Ness Trail.
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Silverglades Holiday Homes Year round self catering accommodation in the Cairngorms National Park.
- Take a look at our suggestions for the top four driving roads in Scotland including Applecross.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- Visit Absolute Escapes for tailor-made travel planning and independent walking holidays in Scotland.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- A great range of self catering castles and large holiday homes in Scotland with Scotts Castle Holidays.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- A fantastic selection of hand-picked cottages in Scotland by Sykes Holiday Cottages.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk