Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Watersports. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are of the magnificent east window of St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall in Orkney; and the original Inverlochy Castle, a Historic Environment Scotland property just to the north of Fort William.
Clickable Map of Scotland
The island of Great Cumbrae, also known as "The Isle of Cumbrae" or just "Cumbrae" can be found in the Firth of Clyde a mile and a half or so off the coast of North Ayrshire. It is (very) roughly shaped like a teardrop, albeit with an indentation at its southern end, where you find the bay around which is wrapped its main (indeed its only) settlement, Millport. Great Cumbrae measures some 2.5 miles from north to south, and some 1.2 miles from east to west. ( More ...)
On This Day
20 January 1936: King George V dies. He is succeeded by King Edward VIII, who abdicates 325 days later in order to marry Mrs Simpson.
20 January 1994: The death of Sir Matt Busby, the football player and manager best remembered for his management of Manchester United.
21 January 1840: The birth of the pioneering woman doctor and champion of medical education for women, Sophia Jex-Blake.
The Danger of Life by Ken Lussey (10 May 2019).
It is late 1942. Group Captain Robert Sutherland's first week in charge of Military Intelligence 11's operations in Scotland is not going smoothly.
An investigation into a murder at the Commando Basic Training Centre in the Highlands take an even darker turn that draws Bob in personally. He is also trying
to discover who was behind an attempt to steal an advanced reconnaissance aircraft; and then Monique Dubois in MI5 asks for his help with an operation
of hers in Glasgow that has gone badly wrong.
Read our full review.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- Hop and Thistle Tours provide all-inclusive luxury walking holidays along the West Highland Way.
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Silverglades Holiday Homes Year round self catering accommodation in the Cairngorms National Park.
- Take a look at our suggestions for the top four driving roads in Scotland including Applecross.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- Visit Absolute Escapes for tailor-made travel planning and independent walking holidays in Scotland.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- A great range of self catering castles and large holiday homes in Scotland with Scotts Castle Holidays.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- A fantastic selection of hand-picked cottages in Scotland by Sykes Holiday Cottages.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two large holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- Applying for an ESTA visa waiver online could not be any easier.
- Cottages & Castles A fabulous selection of self-catering properties for your perfect Scottish escape.
- Small group and private tours of Scotland in comfort and luxury with Your Scotland Tour.
- Card EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) provides health cover in the UK, Europe and Switzerland.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.