Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
Information about the Scottish government's COVID protection levels can be seen here.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Property Services. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are a view of the inner court of the mighty Caerlaverock Castle south of Dumfries; and of a lighthouse on the island of Graemsay, near the western end of the huge natural harbour of Scapa Flow in Orkney.
Clickable Map of Scotland
On 27 July 1689, some 4,000 government troops were ambushed and defeated by 2,500 Jacobites under the 1st Viscount Dundee at the Battle of Killiecrankie. The Pass of Killiecrankie lies between Pitlochry and Blair Atholl. A little under a mile and a half long, it is a narrow, steep sided glen that forms the most constricted part of what has throughout history been the main route between the Highlands and the Lowlands. ( More ...)
On This Day
27 July 1689: The leader of Jacobite dissent in Scotland is Viscount Dundee who gathers an army of Highlanders and a few Irish at Blair Castle. As General Mackay moves a government army of lowland troops north from Dunkeld the two sides meet at the Battle of Killiecrankie. The outcome is a victory for the Jacobites, but at a high cost including the death of Viscount Dundee, or "Bonnie Dundee" as he is remembered.
27 July 1790: The Forth and Clyde Canal is opened to use.
In a Veil of Mist by Donald S Murray (11 March 2021).
Operation Cauldron, 1952: Top-secret germ warfare experiments are taking place aboard a vessel moored off the Isle of Lewis.
Local villagers Jessie and Duncan encounter strange sights on the deserted beach nearby and suspect the worst. And one government
scientist wrestles with his own inner anguish over the testing, even if he believes extreme deterrent weapons are needed. When a
noxious cloud of plague bacteria is released into the path of a passing trawler, disaster threatens.
Read our full review.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- Arachnid Press Independent Scottish Publisher. Our latest release is The House With 46 Chimneys.
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Silverglades Holiday Homes Year round self catering accommodation in the Cairngorms National Park.
- Luxury self drive guided Land Rover adventures with Celtic Routes on great routes with stunning hotels.
- Cottage Gems A fabulous collection of luxury, stylish and 5 star holiday properties in the UK and Ireland.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- Search over 60,000 Last Minute Cottages in Scotland with great last-minute deals.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- Welcome to Fort William: A place to relax and to play. Plan your visit at fortwilliam.co.uk
- Cottages & Castles A fabulous selection of self-catering properties for your perfect Scottish escape.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- Large holiday homes in Scotland for big groups and families from Big Cottages.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.