Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Limousine and Taxi Hire. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are of the engraving on a gravestone dating back to 1694 in St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall in Orkney; and a view of the harbour at Campbeltown, near the tip of the Kintyre peninsula.
Clickable Map of Scotland
Only a few of those who visit Culloden Battlefield realise that only a mile to the south-east lies a very different link with the past, every bit as evocative as Culloden, despite dating back to around 2000BC. Following the brown tourist signs to Clava Cairns takes you down some very minor roads and close to a spectacular railway viaduct en route to the car park for what are more fully known as the Prehistoric Burial Cairns of Balnuaran of Clava. ( More ...)
On This Day
25 February 1822: The birth near Carlisle of Sir Thomas Bouch, the eminent railway engineer best known as the designer of the ill-fated Tay Rail Bridge, which collapsed with the loss of 75 lives on 28 December 1879.
26 February 1935: Radar pioneer Robert Watson-Watt successfully demonstrates the detection of radio signals being reflected off a circling RAF bomber in what became known as the Daventry Experiment.
26 February 1950: The death of Sir Harry Lauder, one of Scotland's greatest singers and entertainers.
The Stockholm Run by Ken Lussey (26 May 2022).
A fast-paced thriller set largely in Edinburgh and Stockholm during World War Two. It's March 1943. The death of an intruder in a
hidden bunker leads to a much larger secret buried beneath Edinburgh Castle. As the mystery unravels, Bob Sutherland and Monique Dubois
are sent to Stockholm, a city supposedly at peace in a world at war, to take delivery of a message of critical national importance. Or is
it a trap? Can their relationship survive what they uncover? Will they live long enough for that to matter?
Read our full review.
- Luxury self drive guided Land Rover adventures with Celtic Routes on great routes with stunning hotels.
- Cottage Gems A fabulous collection of luxury, stylish and 5 star holiday properties in the UK and Ireland.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- Sykes Holiday Cottages, providing a great choice of self-catering accommodation throughout Scotland.
- Cottages & Castles A fabulous selection of self-catering properties for your perfect Scottish escape.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- Holidaycottages.co.uk offer over 750 hand-picked holiday cottages in wonderful locations across Scotland.
- Arachnid Press Independent Scottish Publisher. Our latest release is the fast-paced thriller A Tangled Web.
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- First Mortgage Scotland's leading mortgage advisors, providing fee-free and impartial mortgage advice.