Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Walking and Climbing Holidays and Guiding. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are a view of Bass Rock from the little known beach at Seacliff in East Lothian; and a close up of the carving on the Rodney Stone, a Pictish symbol stone standing near Brodie Castle in Moray.
Clickable Map of Scotland
As you drive along the A98 from Cullen to Portsoy your attention tends to be drawn to the tempting direction signs to coastal destinations. But keep a look out for signs pointing inland to the historic village of Fordyce, a mile or so off the main road. Follow the signs and you find a magical place, a warren of narrow streets still following a medieval plan, and all wrapped around a magnificent centrepiece, Fordyce Castle, simply sitting on a bend in the village street. ( More ...)
On This Day
26 September 1826: The murder near Timbuktu of Alexander Gordon Laing, the first European to reach the city from the north.
26 September 1915 : The death of Keir Hardie, first leader of the Labour Party.
26 September 1994: The death of the novelist, playwright and radio producer, Jessie Kesson.
Calton Hill: And the plans for Edinburgh's Third New Town by Kirsten Carter McKee (6 September 2018).
Calton Hill stands on the eastern edge of Edinburgh's centre. Development began in the late eighteenth century with the intention of
changing the rural periphery into the new urban core of the city. This book considers how the architectural expression of Calton Hill
has been perceived, accepted and rejected as ideas surrounding cultural identity, governance and nationalism have changed over the last
Read our full review.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- A fantastic selection of hand-picked cottages in Scotland by Sykes Scottish Cottages.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- If you want to travel to Scotland, a European Health Insurance Card is the first step.
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two large holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- If you’re looking for a cheap parcel courier, this service is the one for you.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- For Scottish trust deed information visit Scotlands Trust Deed and find out if you qualify for help.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Silverglades Holiday Homes Year round self catering accommodation in the Cairngorms National Park.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- Take a look at our suggestions for the top four driving roads in Scotland including Applecross.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- Visit Absolute Escapes for tailor-made travel planning and independent walking holidays in Scotland.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.