Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Limousine and Taxi Hire. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are of the small crofting township of Duirinish near Kyle of Lochalsh; and a view of the superb, no-expense-spared, carved frontage of the palace that forms part of Huntly Castle in Aberdeenshire.
Clickable Map of Scotland
The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo takes place in August each year. It began life in 1950 as the Army's contribution to the Edinburgh International Festival. The Edinburgh Tattoo has gained a reputation for excellence and spectacle that is unmatched. It is also truly international, and some 40 countries have taken part. On average, there are around 1000 participants in the Tattoo each year, watched by over 200,000 people. ( More ...)
On This Day
22 August 1138: The Scots army under David I is defeated at the Battle of the Standard at Northallerton in Yorkshire. Despite the defeat, the Treaty of Durham that follows in 1139 gives David I effective control over Northumbria and Cumbria.
22 August 1513: The Scottish army crosses the border with England, taking Norham Castle amongst others.
22 August 1642: Charles I, having failed to suppress or coerce the English Parliament by his will, takes it on by military might. The English Civil War begins.
22 August 1651: Charles II reaches Worcester with very little evidence of English Royalist support.
A History of Scotland's Landscapes by Fiona Watson & Piers Dixon (8 March 2018).
It is easy to overlook how much of our history is preserved all around us, in the pattern of fields, forests, hills and mountains, roads,
railways, canals, lochs, buildings and settlements. A History of Scotland's Landscapes explores the many ways that we have used, adapted
and altered our environment over thousands of years. Full of maps, photographs and drawings, it offers a remarkable new perspective
Read our full review.
- Choose from a huge range of Sykes Scottish Cottages.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- If you want to travel to Scotland, a European Health Insurance Card is the first step.
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two large holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- If you’re looking for a cheap parcel courier, this service is the one for you.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- For Scottish trust deed information visit Scotlands Trust Deed and find out if you qualify for help.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Silverglades Holiday Homes Year round self catering accommodation in the Cairngorms National Park.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- Visit Absolute Escapes for tailor-made travel planning and independent walking holidays in Scotland.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.