Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like. We also offer website design, maintenance and hosting services.
Coronavirus. On 24 June 2020 the Scottish government announced the following provsional dates for the relaxation of restrictions in Scotland. The travel distance limit for leisure will be lifted on 3 July; self-catering holiday accommodation that meets certain conditions will be permitted from 3 July; all holiday accommodation will be permitted from 15 July; museums, galleries, cinemas, monuments and libraries will reopen, with conditions, from 15 July. Subject to further review, outdoor hospitality can reopen from 6 July and indoor hospitality from 15 July. You can see the full 24 June announcement by the Scottish government here.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax. In addition we have collections of links to resources such as Tour Operators and Activities and Special Interests. Or simply visit a random feature page.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Today's header slides are of the plaque showing the maker's name, Porteus of Leeds, on a malt mill in a Scotch whisky distillery; and a view of the harbour at Stromness in Orkney, which stretches along an inlet of Scapa Flow.
Clickable Map of Scotland
Cromarty stands close to the tip of the of the Black Isle, which projects into the North Sea between the Moray Firth and the Cromarty Firth. It benefits from the protective shadow of the Sutors of Cromarty and is the principle settlement on the Black Isle. The attractive village looks north across the Cromarty Firth towards the fabrication yards at Nigg, and you get the very strong sense of a history tied to the sea and to seafaring. ( More ...)
On This Day
3 July 1883: The steamer "Daphne" sinks with the loss of 124 lives on the Clyde during its maiden voyage.
4 July 1796: Robert Burns takes up residence at the Brow Inn to seek a cure for what we now know was rhumatic fever. The "cure" comprises drinking the waters of the Brow Well and bathing in the Solway Firth.
Anna by Laura Guthrie (25 June 2020).
Every cloud has a silver lining... doesn’t it? Anna is thirteen years old, lives in London with her father, and has Asperger’s syndrome.
When her father dies, she moves to Scotland to live with her estranged, reclusive mother. With little support to help her fit in, she
must use every coping strategy her father taught her - especially her ‘Happy Game’ - as she tries to connect with her mother, discover
her past, and deal with the challenges of being thrown into a brand new life along the way.
Read our full review.
- Hop and Thistle Tours provide all-inclusive luxury walking holidays along the West Highland Way.
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Silverglades Holiday Homes Year round self catering accommodation in the Cairngorms National Park.
- Cottage Gems A fabulous collection of luxury, stylish and 5 star holiday properties in the UK and Ireland.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- Visit Absolute Escapes for tailor-made travel planning and independent walking holidays in Scotland.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- A great range of self catering castles and large holiday homes in Scotland with Scotts Castle Holidays.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- A fantastic selection of hand-picked cottages in Scotland by Sykes Holiday Cottages.
- Scot Mountain Holidays Walking, biking and adventure holidays in Scotland plus family run lodge.
- For comfortable self-catering holiday cottages in Scotland visit Interhome.co.uk
- Newburgh Holiday Lets Two large holiday houses in the beautiful Ettrick valley in the Scottish Borders.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- Applying for an ESTA visa waiver online could not be any easier.
- Cottages & Castles A fabulous selection of self-catering properties for your perfect Scottish escape.
- Small group and private tours of Scotland in comfort and luxury with Your Scotland Tour.
- Enjoy a luxury Scottish country house experience at pet-friendly Trigony House Hotel & Garden Spa.
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk