On the northern edge of the main portion of Pierowall in a wonderful shoreside location are the remains of Lady Kirk, one of two ruins of medieval churches still standing on Westray. The other is Cross Kirk near Tuquoy.
The church is also referred to in some sources as St Mary's, Pierowall: we've stuck with the name used on the on-site sign.
Most of what you see at Lady Kirk today was erected in 1674. However this church reused the foundations of a predecessor built in the 1200s: and the south wall of the nave is largely from the original church.
The church is in two parts. The nave is rectangular, with at its west and a largely complete gable topped off by a bellcote. A line of holes in the gable suggest there was originally a gallery at this end.
The east end of the 1674 church formed a laird's aisle, erected on the site of the 1200s chancel. The laird's aisle and the nave are separated by an arch that may have copied (or perhaps even reused parts of) the earlier chancel arch.
Within the laird's aisle is a rather out of place looking memorial in red marble to "The memory of James Stewart of Bruce, the munificent donor of the Stewart Endowment, died 25 June 1858."
Nearby, in a transparent case designed to protect it from the elements is the large pink grave slab of Michael Balfour and others, dating back to 1657 and beautifully engraved. Next to it is another equally impressive grave slab, of Helen Alexander, who died in 1676.