Forfarshire, also sometimes known as the County of Forfar or Angus, was one of the 34 traditional counties into which Scotland was divided for administrative purposes. It extended inland from the North Sea coast north of the Firth of Tay and included the glens on the south side of the Cairngorm Mountains.
The main settlements in Forfarshire were Arbroath, Brechin, Carnoustie, Dundee, Edzell, Forfar, Kirriemuir and Montrose. Forfar was the county town. Forfarshire was bordered by the traditional counties of Kincardineshire, Aberdeenshire and Perthshire.
A tidying up of the map of Scotland's counties which reduced their number to 33 in 1890 saw Forfarshire lose an area around Coupar Angus to Perthshire. More important was a name change in 1928, which resulted in Forfarshire formally changing its name to Angus. We continue the story of the development of local government in the area on our Angus page.