The County of Edinburgh, also sometimes know as Edinburghshire or Midlothian, was one of the 34 traditional counties into which Scotland was divided for administrative purposes. It comprised the built up areas of Edinburgh itself, and a large swathe of land to the south east extending well into what is now part of Scottish Borders.
The main settlements in the County of Edinburgh were Edinburgh, Leith, Dalkeith, Lasswade, Loanhead, Newbattle, Roslin, Penicuik and Stow. The county town was Edinburgh. The County of Edinburgh was bordered by the traditional counties of Linlithgowshire, Peeblesshire, Selkirkshire, Berwickshire, and Haddingtonshire.
A tidying up of the map of Scotland's counties which reduced their number to 33 in 1890 had no effect on the County of Edinburgh, It was, however, affected by a more minor reorganisation of local government which applied to this part of Scotland in 1921. The result was that the County of Edinburgh formally changed its name to Midlothian and we continue the story of the development of local government in the area on our Midlothian page.