Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the Links section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Clickable Map of Scotland
The Castle of Mey is the most northerly castle in mainland Scotland. It looks out over the Pentland Firth to the Orkney Islands from a location a few hundred yards inland from the coast some 13 miles east of Thurso and some 6 miles west of John o' Groats. The Queen Mother holidayed at the Castle of Mey for nearly 50 years and it is the Castle of Mey's long standing links with the late Queen Mother which still bring it to life for visitors today. ( More ...)
On This Day
29 April 1863: Mary Livingstone, wife of explorer David Livingstone, dies in Africa of dysentery while accompanying her husband's Zambezi Expedition.
29 April 1977: British Aerospace takes over Scottish Aviation.
30 April 1728: The Royal Bank of Scotland agrees to the world's first overdraft when it allows the merchant William Hog to take £1,000 more from his account than he has in it (well over £60,000 in today's money).
Today's header slides are of Sweetheart Abbey, founded in 1273 by Devorgilla, Lady of Galloway in memory of her husband, John Balliol; and the mountains of Wester Ross from Charlestown on Loch Gairloch.
Simply want to explore? Take a chance and visit a random feature page on Undiscovered Scotland.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- Choose from a huge range of Sykes Scottish Cottages.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- For Scottish trust deed information visit Scotlands Trust Deed and find out if you qualify for help.
- A real country house experience and wonderful food at Trigony House Hotel in Dumfries & Galloway.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Discover Log Cabin Holidays and pet-friendly lodges in Scotland and throughout the UK.
- Search over 100 self catering holiday parks, barn conversions & lodges in Scotland on holidayparkhol.co.uk
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- Visit Absolute Escapes for tailor-made travel planning and independent walking holidays in Scotland.