Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the Links section, the What's New page and Scotfax.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Clickable Map of Scotland
At about 1.50 p.m. on Tuesday 25 August 1942, a Short Sunderland flying boat en route from the seaplane base at RAF Invergordon on the Cromarty Firth to RAF Reykjavik in Iceland inexplicably deviated from its planned course and flew into a hillside at Eagle's Rock in Caithness, three miles west of Dunbeath. Fourteen of the fifteen men on board at the time were killed. Amongst them was Prince George, the Duke of Kent, a younger brother of King George VI. ( More ...)
On This Day
25 August 1776: The death of David Hume, generally regarded as the most important philosopher ever to write in English.
25 August 1819: The death of James Watt, the engineer and inventor whose improvements to the steam engine were fundamental in bringing about the industrial revolution.
Today's header slides are of the sublime beach at Achmelvich, north of Lochinver on the west coast of Sutherland; and a view across the River Helmsdale of the village of Helmsdale, on the east coast of Sutherland.
Simply want to explore? Take a chance and visit a random feature page on Undiscovered Scotland.
- A real country house experience and wonderful food at Trigony House Hotel in Dumfries & Galloway.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- UK brides can find the best bridesmaid dresses online at Artweddings.co.uk.
- Discover Log Cabin Holidays and pet-friendly lodges in Scotland and throughout the UK.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- Choose from a huge range of Sykes Scottish Cottages.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- For Scottish trust deed information visit Scotlands Trust Deed and find out if you qualify for help.