Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the Links section, the What's New page and Scotfax.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Clickable Map of Scotland
There has been a church at Ettrick in the Scottish Borders for at least 800 years. By the late 1600s the village had some 50 houses, though the population declined rapidly from 1700, when many tenants were cleared by the laird. The focus of community life in Ettrick today remains the kirk, which lies at the western end of the settlement. Today's kirk was built in 1824 though in part it seems to reuse material from an earlier church, including a memorial stone dated 1619. ( More ...)
On This Day
10 December 1912 The birth in Siberia of of Vera Eriksen, a German spy (and a British double-agent) who landed in Scotland in September 1940.
10 December 1928: The death in London of Charles Rennie Mackintosh the hugely influential architect and design icon.
Today's header slides are of Inveraray Castle, a magnificent chateau that would look as much at home in the Loire Valley as it does in Argyll; and the beautiful Isle of Whithorn, which is no longer an isle, in Dumfries & Galloway,
Simply want to explore? Take a chance and visit a random feature page on Undiscovered Scotland.
- A real country house experience and wonderful food at Trigony House Hotel in Dumfries & Galloway.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Search over 100 self catering holiday parks, barn conversions & lodges in Scotland on holidayparkhol.co.uk
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- Discover Log Cabin Holidays and pet-friendly lodges in Scotland and throughout the UK.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- Choose from a huge range of Sykes Scottish Cottages.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- For Scottish trust deed information visit Scotlands Trust Deed and find out if you qualify for help.