Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the Links section, the What's New page and Scotfax.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Clickable Map of Scotland
Biggar Gasworks is a remarkable survivor. Standing beside the Biggar Burn on Gas Works Road, which runs north from the western end of Biggar High Street, it is Scotland's last remaining plant in which town gas was produced from coal. On a day to day basis, the museum is administered by the Biggar Museums Trust, as one of a number of excellent museums they run in the town. It is in the care of Historic Environment Scotland. ( More ...)
On This Day
26 August 1565: Mary Queen of Scots leads an army out of Edinburgh to supress a rebellion led by her half brother James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, who is opposed to her marriage. She puts the rebellion to flight in what becomes known as the Chaseabout Raid.
26 August 1875: The birth in Perth of John Buchan, the lawyer and politician who became Governor General of Canada, and is most widely remembered as a prolific author of a wide range of fiction and non-fiction books,
26 August 1901: Eight coal miners and rescuers are killed in the Donibristle mining disaster in Fife when the mine is overwhelmed by an inflow of soft peat.
Simply want to explore? Take a chance and visit a random feature page on Undiscovered Scotland.
- For Scottish trust deed information visit Scotlands Trust Deed and find out if you qualify for help.
- A real country house experience and wonderful food at Trigony House Hotel in Dumfries & Galloway.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- UK brides can find the best bridesmaid dresses online at Artweddings.co.uk.
- Discover Log Cabin Holidays and pet-friendly lodges in Scotland and throughout the UK.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.
- Choose from a huge range of Sykes Scottish Cottages.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.