Hello, and welcome to Undiscovered Scotland, the ultimate online guide to Scotland. The site is a combination of visitor guide, accommodation listing and business directory, and aims to show you what the country is really like.
You can navigate the site using clickable maps like the one on this page or the drop down menus. There are other resources to help you, including the Alphabetical Index, the Site Index, the Accommodation Index, the Late Availability listings page, the Search boxes on most pages (usually below a clickable map), the Site Information section, the Links section, the What's On? and What's New? pages and Scotfax.
Accommodation can be accessed via the "Accommodation" menu at the top of many pages, including this one, or using the "See and Stay" menus at the top of many other pages.
Clickable Map of Scotland
Dunollie Castle, for centuries an important fortress of the Chiefs of Clan MacDougall, perches on the summit of a 90ft high outcrop of rock above the narrow passage into Oban Bay between the mainland and the island of Kerrera. Anyone sailing into or out of the bay cannot fail to notice it, and be noticed by it. Scotland has a number of castles built in apparently impregnable locations, and Dunollie must certainly be counted amongst them. ( More ...)
On This Day
22 January 1788: The Romantic poet George Gordon Byron, later to become 6th Baron Byron, is born in London.
22 January 1901: Queen Victoria dies of a cerebral hemorrhage while staying at Osborne House on the Isle of Wight.
22 January 1924: Ramsay MacDonald becomes Britain's first Labour Prime Minister, the first Prime Minister from a working-class background, and one of very few without a university education.
Today's header slides are of the Black Cuillin on the Isle of Skye, the most challenging range of mountains in Scotland; and Bruichladdich Distillery, one of the many wonderful distilleries on the Isle of Islay.
Simply want to explore? Take a chance and visit a random feature page on Undiscovered Scotland.
- First Mortgage Scotland’s leading mortgage advisors, giving fee-free and impartial whole of market advice.
- Choose from a huge range of Sykes Scottish Cottages.
- For cheap one night getaways or romantic lodges, try Hot Tub Hideaways in Scotland for a touch of luxury.
- Hebridean Princess Small ship luxury cruises throughout the Highlands and Islands.
- For Scottish trust deed information visit Scotlands Trust Deed and find out if you qualify for help.
- A real country house experience and wonderful food at Trigony House Hotel in Dumfries & Galloway.
- For over 1,800 personally inspected self catering cottages across the UK visit holidaycottages.co.uk
- For a great choice of holiday cottages across the UK visit Countrycottagesonline.com
- Search over 100 self catering holiday parks, barn conversions & lodges in Scotland on holidayparkhol.co.uk
- Apartments at Turnberry Luxury self-catering accommodation overlooking Ayrshire's beautiful coastline.
- For everything from one bedroom cottages to castles and large houses visit Mackaysholidays.com
- Discover Log Cabin Holidays and pet-friendly lodges in Scotland and throughout the UK.
- Wedding, family and other photography in central Scotland and beyond by Carolyn Henry Photography.